Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Banksy or "The Art of Rebellion"










I'm young and being young means you get to do many things, not so much 'get' as 'have' to do many things. You have to go to school and learn and grow stronger mentally and physically, and continue to improve yourself ona daily basis. Why? Is it for your own gain? No. Is it for your happiness? Nope. You break your back so you can clean up after the last generation. In doing this however, you will create new problems while trying to fix the old ones. Such is the way of life for the young and so it has been for centuries.

Sometimes, however, sometimes, some kid out there, somebody smarter than the rest, realizes what hey're true destiny is. That's when they begin to kick and scream and tear at their bodies, trying to rid themselves of unwanted responsibilities. Becauese, honestly, who really wants to spend eternity trying to clean a mess that you didn't make. Thus we have youthful rebellion.

I myself am a quiet person. I'm not rallying in the streets or setting fire to cars, not so much because I don't want to. The whoel illegal thing is a fine deterrent and I can't find the materials as cheaply as I used to. So I make stencils, nothing fancy, just something to mget the message out there. But no matter how hard I try, no matter how professional my work looks, it will always pale in comparison to the king of Stencil Graffiti. Banksy.

Banksy too is a quiet figure. He's wanted across England for acts of vandalism and hsi subversive work has permeated all the way over to the U.S. as well. All of his work has an ironic twist to it however. They challenge the reader not only as stand alone art, but also by involving the surroundings upon whch the piece is placed. He made massive stencils on the Palestinian side of the Israeli West Bank barrier, revealing "lush landscapes and serene settings on the Isreali side," all to protest the fighting between the two nations. He secretly hung two of his own renditions of famous paintings on display at the Metropolitan Museum, where they were not found for many days. He is constantly creaitng massive stencils that cause the reader to stop and smile, to take a step back and say "Damn. Now How'd he do that?"

Despite his obvious intellect and skill for art, he must remain somewhat in the shadows. His art does mark him as a wanted man, but I feel as if he wouldn't have it any other way. If his art was sanctioned, it would lose the luster and "rebellious" nature. It's being illegal is half the fun. Suffice to say, the man is a genius. Hands down, no questions asked. If you don't agree, there's the door. You can just see youself out. And if Banksy is somewhere out there reading this, well, I am beyond honored.

duchamp

2 comments:

nostradomas said...

I guess that people underestimate is the power of art not only image wise but in all forms. This great man I would list into my top 10 or so people who realy do influence the world through their actions in that actions surly do speak louder than words.

duchamp said...

Yeah, I totally agree. I especially enjoy how he is able to influence his surroundings, both physical and social, to forther the message of his art. He truly is a genius.