Thursday, January 4, 2007

The First of Many

Hello,
My name is really not important. For the time being however, my name is duchamp. What you see before you is not just a blog. Actually, it is an important part, an extremely intricate piece, of a much larger plan, laid out for me and my peers by a professor. In an effort to educate my class about the wonders of modern media, he felt it necessary to teach about blogs and the act of blogging through the creation of our own. This is mine.
What is the subject of this blog? Art. Art is indeed an extremely important part of our lives. It is not considered by all to be necessary, but it is. It is a living, breathing record of time and it's effects on humanity. Art shows what people think, what they do, what's acceptable, what's taboo. Everything about the human condition is represented through art. What we don't realize, however, is that art is a major part of our everyday lives. It affects all of our decisions, from the products we buy to the clothes we wear to the music we like. We create art too. Each task we complete is stamped with our own specific style, unique to only ourselves. In the same frame of mind as Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain," a urinal signed with his name, it can be said that everything we touch becomes, to some extent art. So, with the study of certain pieces I have selected, I hope to spark thought not only about the work, but about the message it conveys. Through this endeavor, I hope to learn not only about the art, but about the study and analysis of art in new media forms.

Sincerely,
duchamp

No comments: