Sunday, January 7, 2007

Roy Lichtenstein, the Stan Lee of Pop Art?




Hey Boys and Girls,

I bet you're wondering why I'm up at five in the AM. It's because i haven't slept in two days. I've been swamped with a Psychology research paper, and let me just say, I don't think the topic of sex has ever been less enjoyable for a human being. If I so much as hear the word "arousal," I am pretty sure a third stroke will finish me off. I can barely see what I'm writing. I feel like I'm in a bad comic book. Wait...

Comic Books?

What about good comic books? Roy Lichtenstein knew a little something about good comic art. In fact, he was one of the great "pop artists" of all time. Utilizing a comic book style of design, he created massive paintings which resemble photographs of comic book panels. This design, in itslef, became a comment on mass media as a whole, on the cookie cutter art of the 1960's, 70's, and 80's. His famous pieces include "Drowning Girl" (on display at the lovely Museum of Modern Art, New York and "Whaam" (currently on display at the Tate Modern London). Wikipedia would like you to notice the "the use of the onomatopoetic lettering" in the title "Whaam" A common feature of comic design (think the original Batman television series.)

I've got to say, I really think that his art is genius. It's just the way in that his art looks so plastic and fake. it really adds heft to the meaning of the piece. It almost nullifies anything that subject of the piece is saying. It just comes out seeming cliche and "plastic." and not like "IV Drip save your life" plastic, like "Paris Hilton and Pamela Anderson locked inthe Matel toy works plastic." And the faces. In "Drowning Girl," it has those tears on that perfectly crafted 1950's face. It's...almost...comedic in the tragedy of it all.

Hmm...I'm not really making sense. I guess I'm off to bed. I should really put my eyes in some water, get them hydrated...or something.

So here's looking at you Roy. Oh and Prof.? This one's for you.

duchamp

2 comments:

Mr. Eure said...

You beat me to the punch! I am in the process of leaving comments on all of our blogs; for yours, I had planned on giving you the link to Deconstructing Roy Lichtenstein.

I'll settle for this:

It's called outsider art, and one of my favorite examples of it -- one of my favorite bits of Americana, really -- is the art of Henry Darger. Take a look into it.

conor said...

I don't hate your blog. I may even like it. Don't get your hopes up because i still hate you.
I Hate you,
Wilbert